Monday, March 30, 2015

The Aeronautical Hatred Continues!

More Planes Jme Hates!


It's the Boeing P-26 Peashooter. A plane that was cutting edge for all of eight seconds. Introduced in 1932 it was America's first all-metal low-wing monoplane. This was an innovation but, it also had throwbacks like an open cockpit, fixed landing gear and an armament of only two .30 machine guns. By 1935, it was already completely outclassed by the BF-109 and the Hawker Hurricane. These are reasons enough for Jme to hate it but, I believe he also hates fixed landing gear with spats. Me, I like the spats as well as the fact that these planes were wonderfully colorful!


It's the Fairey Gannet. Another Cold War-era plane. It's is a Bristish Anti-Submarine Aircraft that served in a couple of other naval air wings including the German navy. It featured counter-rotating propellers and three-piece folding wings. I also really like this so-ugly-it's-beautiful plane. I don't know why Jme hates it, I only know that when I showed him a photo of one he said: "Uck!"



This is a reach. I think I may be running out of planes he hates! Here's a shot in the dark. The Ling-Temco-Vought Corsair II. I'm wondering if he'd hate that kind of nose intake.



It's nearly a gimmie, what with the delta wing and all but, I'll bet this makes him go "uck!". The Saab J35 Draken ("Kite" or "Dragon"). I think it's cool looking, like something out of a Gerry Anderson TV show! Turns out I was wrong about this one. He likes it despite himself.

Coming next: Planes Jme Likes!

Listening to while posting: "Age of Consent" by New Order

1 comment:

Pandabonium said...

I remember my dad, an aeronautical engineer, built a model of the Boeing P-26 which hung from the ceiling of his office. I saw a Fairey Gannet at an aviation museum in Melbourne, Australia in 1991. One very strange looking beast with its counter-rotating propellers and multiple tail fins!
The Corsair II had a weird reputation in the Navy of sucking unwary carrier deck crew members into its gaping air intake with fatal results. Ewww.