Monday, January 8, 2007

schnelle Vogel

For the most recent IF challenge 'BUZZ' I tried lots of ideas and none seemed to work. The one that came closest was one of the characters from an upcoming comic (by Kick Enemy Men and myself) being drunk. But, it didn't thrill me. I was lost until I was hyperlinking my way through lunch and found a site on air racing. What a crazy sport! I thought air racing went out with the Gee Bee (the plane that was all engine, not the band that was all cheese). Add finding the site to a model I've been working on and here you go:



The aircraft is an ME-262. Sure it was built at the order of a genocidal megalomaniac, but it is still a beautiful aircraft. So, I decided to turn the weapon of war into a racing steed. The official name of the aircraft was Sturmvogel, or 'stormbird' while its pre-production name was the Schwalbe, or 'swallow'. Being oh-so-cheesy, I changed the name to Schnelle Vogel which, according to BabelFish, means 'speedy bird'. If there are any German speakers who'd like to correct me, please do!

5 comments:

Joji said...

That's beautiful! maybe you should post bigger images.

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Very nice! You have a great style!

Bill Z said...

cool plane!

Anonymous said...

cool moebius looking me262. Nice work.

Unknown said...

very beauteous illo