Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Update!

Suns of Charybdis has updated!

It would have been done sooner, but as I was inking page 13, I realized that it needed a complete new layout to make sense. At least I think it did. AndreZero saw the original, let's see if he likes this alternate.

In other news, I'm starting a blog for my models. I sort of want to keep this blog for art and real life only. Plus, since I'll be posting in-progress pics, I'm hoping that passing modelers with more skills than I will tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So, what am I reading right now, you ask? Well, I'm reading "Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the Dog!) a fantastic book from late 19th century England by Jerome K. Jerome.

It is one of the more subtly funny books I've read in a while. It's basic plot is of three well-to-do friends wh decide to vacation by taking a rowboat trip along an English river. On the surface, it looks like a script for a family-film farces along the lines of "Vacation" or "Are We Done Yet?" where well-meaning boobs get into hijinks. It is the narrative, however, that saves this book from truly being mediocre. The author has a way of writing with a great deal of apparent seriousness and never really makes a joke. The humor just flows through the narrative. To be sure, the language is a bit... flowery, perhaps, but hey, it's the 19th century (and it's not near as bad as Melville)

Anyway, it's hard for someone of my marginal writing skills to explain. Go get it at the library; if, for some reason you don't laugh, you've lost nothing ;)

I will share an excerpt. Here the the narrator makes an observation about something I've experienced myself when backpacking:

"I woke at six the next morning; and found George awake too. we both turned round, and tried to go to sleep again, but we could not. Had there been any particular reason why we shouldnot have gone to sleep again, but have got up and dressed then and there, we should have dropped off while we were looking at our watches , and have slept till ten. As there was no earthly necessity for our gettin up under another two hours at the very least, and keeping with the natural cussedness of rthings in general that we should both feel that lying down would be the death of us"

so, there.

2 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

We're not far from the "You kids get off my solar system" portion of the process. I always like the equipment work...well done.

When I backpack, my sleep apnea usually makes morning a welcome event as I have a tough time getting more than an hour of shuteye at a time (and usually more like 15 minutes). Lots of stupid dreams too. Interesting observations from the author.

Hypatia said...

You know how much I like your comics! Thanks for the update...and the info on your new site.