Thursday, June 28, 2007

Camoflage

Well, I rushed this one a bit and I'm still down to the wire. I'd hate to get lapped by IF.

I was out of town on Friday. Headed down to Mass. to visit my folks and to CT to go to a friend's delayed family wedding reception. It was a good trip. I 'discovered' a bunch of fabulous, purpose-built mountain bike singletrack off of a trail I've been riding for years (For reason of my own, I choose to call the "Queen Latifah Trail"). And, at the reception, I got to see my friend's 53 year-old-mom, my friend's wife and HIS best friend's lesbian partner do synchronized hip-hop dancing (it was his mom's idea). That and I listened to 10 hours of very compelling vintage sci-fi radio drama on the drive. Fabulous.

The drawing was done for IF, but it also wasn't. I had no ideas, so I hit my old sketchbook looking for something to get me going. I found the little robot guy you see. He started as an umpire-bot, but turned into a battlefield medic-bot. I built a little story-snipped around him and this piece is subtitled "Old Number 15". I think it'd be a great seed for a Wierd War Tale.

The inking was fun to do, but I blew off the shading and rushed the color to get this in under the deadline.

9 comments:

Larry Lee said...

Very cool. Especially for "under the wire".

Matt Jackson said...

Hey this is unreal!
I'm going keep checking back for more from you.
M

georg said...

Cool little guy!

Janice Ykema said...

this is a very nice piece... nice to resurrect stuff and breathe new life so to speak into it..

Your trip sounded like it was fun.

demosthenes said...

this looks really good. i'd say more but i haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet and my brain's still fuzzy. :-)

Swinebread said...

Nice, old number 15 looks like he'd be good for a post-apocalyptic story as well... but I guess the could still be a weird war story too right?

He might also might fit into a good heavy metal story too.

Arkonbey said...

swinebread- Now you're thinkin'! Feel like writing?

Of course if it was a post-apocalyptic story IN Heavy Metal, it'd have to be done by one of those cool French guys who do entire comics in watercolor.

Swinebread said...

Hmmm… I’m not much of a writer but lemme’ see if I could come up with a decent plot that’s worth pursuing.

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Very fun! What a cool illustration.