Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'm terrible at surprises

I just can't wait and give them away too soon. I'm selfish that way.

This is a small side project I was sketching out while taking a break from the next Page One Hundred: "The Dharma Bums". Which is finished, pencilled and waiting to be lettered before inking.

In these days when cheesy 80's sci-fi becomes re-imagined, often with harder, more naturalistic edges, I got the wild hair to suggest another re-imagining. It's going to be a full-color fake comic cover when I'm done. I was going to wait to post until it was all colored, but I liked the sketch so much that I wanted to post it before I wrecked it inking.

I thought about using this as the contest for the original Page One Hundred art give-away. But that would have been too easy for people of a certain age so, I'll just use it as part.

The contest is simply to leave a comment. After one week, I'll print out the names, throw them in a hat and pick one at random. The winner will receive their choice of one of the previously completed Page One Hundred pieces or a new one from the book of their choice. If that person can guess the name of the show I'm re-imagining, along with the names of the characters, they get a free smaller crappy drawing of my choice to go with the main prize.

Yay.


(click to enlarge. It looks better bigger)

Lee Sargent asked about my lettering of the previous Page One Hundred. I used the ever old-school Ames Lettering Guide. It's pretty easy to use basically, but hard to use for real. The included directions are cryptic and while there are some videos on YouTube, but they amateur at best. However, even basically, it's easier than measuring and lining with a ruler.

Listening to while posting: "Width of the Circle" by David Bowie

7 comments:

Kristen Eaton said...

Comment! *scuttles off to do some research*

Don Snabulus said...

I like it and have a couple ideas, but being a past winner, I will let others have a shot.

Rambler's Kin said...

I want in! Big fan of your Shakespeare graphics, so its great to see this other side of your work. But have to go scuttle after my sister and see what her research yields!

ben said...

it's definitely pigs in space, but i don't remember the character's names. and i'm not going to research it either.

Unknown said...

A Comment indeed, indeed. A wonderfully fertile mind you have and a unique window to look from or into.

Nydia said...

Wow, your art is amazing! I came here via Kristen who let me know about this contest. Please count me in! :o)

Kisses from Nydia, Brazil.

Mike McKenney said...

Contest! Now to start picking out a book for when I win...