Monday, February 2, 2009

Suns update and some minor ranting

An an update! We're almost there; eight more pages. AndreZero has already finished the first draft of Obscure Tales 5. He's got big ideas and I hope I can pull it off!

Ranting:

I like words. I'm not all that great at making them dance, but I like them. Just this weekend I suddenly thought of two word... things... I hate.

1) anything -GATE. Oh, man, this really bugs me. Monica-gate. Trooper-Gate. Plame-Gate. For the last time, people, WATERGATE WAS THE NAME OF THE HOTEL! What would we call scandals if Liddy's crew had broken into the Raddison? I wonder if in the 90's if some journalist somewhere almost wrote or said "White Water-gate"? Now, that would have made it almost worth it.

2) anything-aholic. Shop-aholic. Work-aholic. Stop it. You're basing new terms off of an existing word, that's fine. But the word is alcoholic; someone addicted to alcohol, right? Break it down: ALCOHOL-ic. So, technically someone addicted to shopping or work is a shopic or a workic. Sure, it doesn't have the same ring, but any word ending in "aholic" is a hateful, annoying little word anyway.

So. Here I am, well on the way to being a curmudgeony old man. I knew it was coming last year when I went to help a high schooler jumpstart his car and he used a slang word I'd never heard before.

Oh, and if anybody cares, I'm documenting the process of a model I'm currently working on. I'm really pushing my skills and the potential for failure is pretty high. It's like a slow, boring reality show: will he succeed or will he have wasted $30? Tune in!

Listening to while posting: "Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)" by Pixies

3 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

This reminds me the the t-shirt the The Onion sells, "I'm Like A Chocoholic But For Booze"

The story is moving along great. My only nitpick is that the launched missile looks big next to the ship. Maybe the fire stream stays thin too long (or my mind...)?

I don't like the GATE thing either. Some of the crimes associated with the newer GATES are worse than the original.

The model stuff is looking great by the way. I am in awe of the details.

Hypatia said...

Hey man, if you like words so much..why all the hatin' on Neil's Sandman?...Was Moore's Leaugue of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. II even worse?...:P...

Those two are my fav works, besides Promethea...

As for Gate & "aholic" everything... it's just kind of silly, and sort of a lazy way of describing things.

And yes, I'm officially old - I can't even tell you all the *new* stuff the teens talk nowadays...I'm just trying to remember my own name!

Bubbashelby said...

I have always felt the same re: "aholic."

On another, completely unrelated note, I once built a fence, and got carried away adding multiple entries to it. It was ridiculous, I had one at the front, one at the back, one on each side, and then all hell broke loos and I added three to the north face, six to the south face, two more on the front near the driveway...I realized I needed help - I had become...


...wait for it...


...a Gate-aholic!

(that's a long way to go for a lame joke I know. I couldn't help it. I'm a joke-aholic. I'll leave now. Don't worry, I won't forget to shut the gate.)