Friday, January 7, 2011

The Big Picutre

So, in my last post I posted a pic of a spaceliner I created, inspired by Jake Parker's Missile Mouse. I mentioned Jake's fantastic cutaways and wasn't sure I could make one. However, last night I had a cup of coffee after dinner (rare occasion) and, since coffee is a creativity fuel, I made one (click to enlarge):



The image is pretty big, but so was the original drawing (almost 11 x 14). The hardest part was reconciling the interior with the pre-designed exterior (the Millennium Falcon Problem). It went pretty well, with only a slight reduction in passenger capacity. I did have to add transferrable water ballast tanks under the passenger compartment to allow for weight and balance. This wouldn't matter if it was a space-only craft, but I wanted it to be atmospheric as well.

So, my first cutaway is, I believe, a success. I'm pretty darn happy with it, actually. What do you think?

Listening to "Zina-Maria" by Gogol Bordello

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work! Fun wasn't it? I'm a sucker for cutaways. I like the little details, like the beds for crew members and the lounge area.

Omelas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Don Snabulus said...

Count me impressed. Now we just need Richard Branson to build it for us.

Arkonbey said...

@Jake; thanks! They are fun. In fact I've had to force myself not to make a bunch more as it was taking away from the figure practices I've mandated for myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

@Snab: I think it may be Richard Branson IV who gets this one built. I did think of doing it as a Virgin Galactic ship, but stuck with the TTA book's "Proxima Line"